xrouting2 and dB ?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by yahro, Jan 17, 2004.

1. yahro

yahro New Member

Hi,

I updated from 3533 to 3536, and, after fiddling allot with skins (about two weeks :duh: ) and the DSP, I reinitialized the latter.
    To my surprise, I discovered that many sliders (especially INs and OUTs) are displayed (and controlled) in dB rather than percentage.
    I read somewhere on the forums ... a request for such a behavior ... and I understand perfectly that this is a feature (and not a bug).
    I was only wondering how to disable this feature ... since I preferred the old behavior.

The only thing that changed (at least in appearance) ... is the new xrouting device ... which I've tried switching with the xrouting_old device ... but to no avail.

Could you please give me some indications, hints, Dane code, magic, prayers :drool: ... or anything else ... in order to help me solve this problem/feature...?

Thanks in advance.

2. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

upload 'epilog_old' and 'prolog_old' instead of the newer versions
    rename them to 'epilog' and 'prolog' and re-launch the kx mixer

note: this is not recommended and this is not the 'official' way of doing things :) (since non-dB sliders are supported for compatibility with legacy settings files only)

you may experience certain problems with the future releases of the driver if you keep using these 'legacy' effects

:)

/E

3. yahro

yahro New Member

Thanks for the quick answer.... and sorry for my delayed reply :)

In the future… I experience them right now :lol: ... no volume sliders appearing in the mixer ... guess this is the end of the road for those 'legacy effects’ :)
    Fortunately ... I can upload the "originals" (?) epilog_old and prolog_old, from a settings file ... which do work. Thanks ... my problem is solved. :cool:

1. Why are percentage sliders considered an old (legacy) way of doing things?

2. Does the DSP express volume(s) as dB, rather than linear 16/24/32bit integers (or maybe ... floating points)?

3. What represents the digital 0dB (on the dB sliders)? ... The zero point marker or the +12dB?

4. Does the dB slider curve model have an advantage over the percentage slider curve model?

[​IMG]

On a side note: could it be true that I currently have 263/256 GPRs used? ... Or it could only be a mis-registration of one of the modules/effects loaded into the DSP? Only new modules/effects (from the 3536 version) are loaded on this one :) . [​IMG]

Or another one ... in the same style: [​IMG]

P.S. Anyway ... kX... rocks, and don't let yourself bothered by my criticism. You all are doing a great job) :cool:

4. eyagos

eyagos New Member

Hi. The advantage of logarithmic curve (dB) for the sliders is that human hear percieves sound intensities in a logarithmic way, so if you set the slider at midle scale, you'll hear aproximately at half volume. So, dB scales are more "confortable" and more "proffesional".

About the 0dB makers, if you see 0dB then it must be 0dB and not +12dB.

And about the registers used that you see, it is perfectly posible.

5. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

>> no volume sliders appearing in the mixer ...

you must have forgotten to rename them back to 'epilog' & 'prolog' in the DSP

the new plugins are incompatible with the old one and use different DSP formulas (which allow, for instance, amplification)
    so, 'old 100%' = 'new 0dB', but 'new +12dB' cannot be achieved using the old effects
    and the 'physical' DSP values are different for epilog & epilog_lite

the 'settings' are restored automatically, thus, you will get the legacy effects uploaded when necessary

>> On a side note: could it be true that I currently have 263/256 GPRs used

yes, there's a bug in the kX DSP window -- it calculates GPRs incorrectly :)

the DSP uses linear values (internally)

and, btw, thanks for your message! a good 'bug report' :)

/E