Yahoo boosts free e-mail storage to 100MB

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Dom, May 14, 2004.

1. Dom

Dom New Member

The upgrade is part of an overall enhancement for Yahoo Mail that will launch this summer. Besides additional storage, the service will get a face-lift and tie in more Yahoo-branded services, such as Photos and Messenger.

The announcement comes a month after search rival Google said it would launch a free e-mail service called Gmail that offers 1GB of storage, considerably more space than free versions of Yahoo Mail and Microsoft's Hotmail. Yahoo currently offers 4MB of storage to free users of its e-mail service.

The company's decision to boost its e-mail storage is not surprising. A day before Gmail details were unveiled, Yahoo sent e-mails to some customers in hopes of gauging their interest in receiving 100MB of storage.

The company said the e-mail was just a typical consumer survey for its "loyal consumer base" and denied that it had any relation to the news of Gmail.

Gmail has sparked considerable controversy, because Google plans to scan people's e-mails to serve ads based on message text. The plans have drawn fire from privacy advocates and industry leaders alike.

Details of Yahoo's storage upgrade were revealed by Jim Brock, the company's senior vice president of communication and consumer services, during Yahoo's presentation to Wall Street analysts.

Read More...

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

correction currenty it been offering a 6 mb limt for it free users...

just logged in still 6 mb has been for a verry long time
    msn offer 2mb

of couse unless you pay them!

3. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

What's the point of all that email storage space ya can't create a sharepoint to make any good use of the space

4. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

...and there is the whole thing about it, now ain't it? Seems kinda pointless to me. If they gave that sharepoint deal with the 100megs, then it would actually be USEFUL.

I have SBC/Yahoo ISP, they give us 10megs for email right now. Know how many times it was full? ZERO. What would I do with 10 times that amount? Why don't they give us 100megs of free webspace instead? Know how much free webspace I got? 2 lousy megs, oooohhh! :rolleyes: And that is just a leftover from when it was just straight Ameritech as an ISP.

5. SJae

SJae Banned

No, only long-time users get 6mb. I get 6mb too. However, go ahead and open up a 2nd account. You'll see that you only get 4mb. The reason you and I get 6mb is cuz we have maintained our account for a long time.

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

hmm i have hotmail, 2mb, and spymac, 1gb and crapmail 6 mb (i think)