Yet Another "Building a New Computer" Thread -_-

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Crystallization, Nov 21, 2012.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I don't know for sure, but I suspect 3GB would be OTT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_5#RAID_5

2. Crystallization

Crystallization New Member

All I need now is a bit more clarification on the GPU. When it comes to general all-around performance boosts to graphics editors, should I go with the Radeon HD 7770, nVIDEA GTX650, nVIDEA GT640 or other?

It's worth mentioning that I'll probably be upgrading my GPU again in the future.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Besides Adobe CS, which benefits somewhat from Nvidia cards (and the 650 not much more than the 640) and not at all from AMD cards, what software will you be using?

Also, why do you expect to upgrade in the future, and will you be gaming at all? The 640 may be ideal for Adobe CS, but it will struggle in most modern games to some degree.

4. Crystallization

Besides Adobe Photoshop, which I plan to purchase at a later date, I'll also be using graphics editors like GIMP, Paint.NET, and Inkscape (vector graphics). From what I understand, vector graphics can be hardware accelerated by the GPU.

I don't plan on doing any gaming right away but in the future there may be a game that peaks my interest and I'll probably have to upgrade my GPU to fully enjoy the game then.

----------

BTW, I've made a few more changes to what it is that I'm going to purchase for this rig.

I'm changing my PSU choice from the regular Corsair Enthusiast Series to the Corsair Enthusiast 650-Watt Modular Series. This should help with cable management quite a bit.

I've also decided to go with a different case. Instead of the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced Mid Tower, I'm going with the Corsair Carbide Series Black 400R Mid Tower.

And lastly, due to budget constraints and the fact that I may not even benefit from AMD's GPU offerings, I'm going with the cheaper EVGA GeForce GT 640 2GBs.

Feel free to weigh in on what you think of this final(?) setup:
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
    • CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
    • GPU: EVGA GeForce GT 640 2GBs
    • RAM: Patriot Memory Viper 3 Series DDR3 16GB 2133MHz
    • Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    • SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB
    • PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 650-Watt - Modular
    • Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid Tower

• Misc: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound Paste

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Ok, so I've three main points with that (generally pretty decent) proposed build:

1) The GT640 is not fast enough to make use of >1GB of VRAM. If you can get a 1GB GT640 for less money, I think you should.
    2) 650W still seems like significant overkill for me. There are cheaper high quality modular power supplies (e.g. CX430M).
    3) Why does this need to be full ATX? You're using very little hardware indeed, and putting it in a massive great case, which means spending more on the case and motherboard than you would do with MATX. Unless you're going to use more than two expansion cards in the future, I don't see the need for a full size motherboard. There is no performance advantage.

6. Crystallization

I'll see what I can find.

I'll try going for the CX430M as you recommended. And should I need more power in the future, I'll upgrade and put the CX430M in one of my older computers. Thanks!

I will also me adding a sound card in the PCI slot for now and than later replace it with a PCIe soundcard, one other SSD, two HDDs, one Blu-Ray drive and possibly one CD/DVD-ROM (specifically for EAC ripping). And than, in the future, should I want to upgrade this to a more worthy gaming machine, I won't have to purchase a brand new build but instead just upgrade to one really powerful GPU or two depending on the games and their requirements.

7. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

With the PSU, I'd say save yourself the money and time later by staying with the 650.

8. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

If you (OP) are ever going to want a dual-GPU setup, or a high-end setup with a workstation CPU, it is true that the 430 won't be enough.

9. CDsDontBurn

it's essentially future proofing your system.

10. Crystallization

Thanks for the info. I might still stick with the CX430M only because I have a PSU from another computer that's on its last leg and it may need a replacement soon. The only two items that I'll be adding immediately along with the items that I'm going to purchase are a soundcard and a HDD.

I decided to switch out the GPU again from the EVGA GT 640 to the EVGA GTX 650. They both consume around the same amount of power, the GTX 650 outperforms the GT 640 in every way, and most importantly, they cost around the same price.

11. CDsDontBurn

Similar power consumption, WAY better performance, and for similar price? That's a no-brainer :)

12. Crystallization

I'm considering a second build for my computer. Please check out the details on my first post.