Your best experience on Driver Heaven (yes this one's for the oldies :P )

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

So recently I've been reminiscing times past here in my years I've been on DH/HH and though there are many times which stand out in memory such as the time I posted my first picture in the Heavenly Visions thread and it was actually me on like the moon or something with a lego body and a huge ass skull for a head or the times when me and Danhill and Squall Leonhart used to troll in the original Randomness thread there is one time which stands out above all the rest for me.

That time was when Need for Speed Underground 2 came out and we were all posting our cars and showing off our modding skills, some cars I thought were really sweet, others, well, not so sweet. The reason this was my favorite experience is because NFS: UG2 was one of my favorite games of all time and to engage socially at the time at that level before social media had exploded was, to me, something special. It was unlike any experience I had had before.

I have taken long hiatuses and kept coming back for some reason, I guess because for me this place is more than just a site or something (no homo :p ), to me this place is more like my home on the internets. And I love it to death. My biggest fear is that I die and no one on here knows that I am gone and no one comes to inform you guys of what has happened. (just as you will remember Hawgshead's wife once came on and informed us of news that to our greatest sympathies was exactly this scenario happening and she felt she had to let us know)

So what are some of your best experiences while browsing the forums in the number of years you have been on here and why?

2. bolze

bolze Akatsuki Lida

I'm a long, long time lurker. I've truly enjoyed watching this forum grow into what it is now. Cheers to many more years of lurking

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Lurkers are the backbone of any community. ;)

4. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

I would say my most memorable moment was when I got my gold status, I remember I had been trolling and just posting on you laugh you lose thread on the flame war zone :p and randomness... nothing rude just pictures and stuff and comparing my reputation to other HH members those were the days ;). Although I have grown older and don't post as much anymore I still check on my fellow HH'ers once in a while to see that all is well...

PS: I still love the you laugh you lose thread .. one of my favorites:D:D:D

Calliers likes this.
  5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

The active community, although it might be small, is one of the reason I keep returning to this forum. I wish we could do a big meetup sometime, but as our community is spread out world-wide, I fear this will never happen. But I would love to meet you all personally.
    I really enjoyed (and still do) the personal care of the mods (especially Stu) for the members of DH/HH. I was slightly worried that this quality of care would drop after Zardon left but I am really glad I was proven to be worried about nothing. It is just as good, if not better.

I guess I can post this story in this thread, as I have been 'harassed' to tell this story on the forum for some time now. Some of you might remember I built a new computer and started using a videocard I had won on this very forum more than 3 years ago (gtx560ti), because my laptop died. This videocard had been sitting on a shelf this whole time, in anticipation to be eventually used. You might also remember my thread where I laid out a problem with the card being very noisy which was likely due to a failed (or failing) bearing(s) in the fans. After asking Stuart for any possibilities for an RMA with Palit, which turned out to be impossible, he had gone through the trouble of sending me a 260x as a replacement without even wanting the gtx back. I seriously never expected any such generousity and I am sure no other site/forum on the planet would ever go through this trouble.
    (on a related note: If anyone wants a noisy gtx560ti and don't mind paying postage from NZ to where you live, it's yours. Optional, but not necessary: If you would like to pay a little for the card and put a donation towards my growing student debts, I would be grateful)

I do miss some of the regulars that, over the years, have dissapeared. But I guess that is the nature of the beast, especially online; the community keeps changing.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    Calliers likes this.
  6. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Nice thread guys, appreciate it :)

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

You're welcome Stu, we <3 DH! :D

I have to mention one time on HH that was memorable in more ways than one for me as well. The day I won my first competition, I have won two competitions, was runner up in one competition, the other I won one of the main prizes, a core i7 processor. Both times I couldn't believe I had been so lucky.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Guessing the name change from Driver Heaven to Hardware Heaven and getting the goodies, Mobo/CPU/RAM, for the lucky winner... :cool:

Also winning the HD5770 from ATI/AMD just before that.

Also the point in time when I had better rep than everybody, including Admin...

But seriously... It's not all about winning stuff. You guys are my friends...

except for Judas.... He hates everybody.

Mousey, CDsDontBurn and Calliers like this.
  9. Calliers

ROFLMFAO!!!!!! XD

10. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Hey guys,
    I don't know if I really have a "best" experience here only because every time I log in, it's a good experience. The guys here, the community, everything. It's what makes this site so much different than any other. It's why we have so many people logging in here on a daily basis. This site just has an awesome community and just feels like home.

I work in IT, I don't talk to a lot of people outside of my work just because it's who I am but I do love talking to people about the things that I am interested in and this site has it all, from games and PC's to music and cars and giving each other some crap once in a while. It's what family is about. Anyway, kudos to you all for making this site what it is.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Hahahaha! One particular situation comes to mind from many years ago. The old-time regulars will remember the days when Zardon would post some cryptic messages in Greek. Unknown to him, I had a very small familiarity with Greek and was able to "solve" one of his early puzzles in just a matter of minutes after he posted it. I don't think he ever forgave me for that! LOL!

BTW, just FTR, when I get home from work, this is the bonafide FIRST site I access...even before FB. ;)

Neshi and Calliers like this.
  12. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

"Marking" this thread for later.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  13. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Same here.
    There is also another thing I have fond, although somewhat disturbing, memories of which were Zardon's avatars. They were always quite dark and macabre. I have had the swinging green .gif avatar for as long I can remember here on DH/HH... but with the change to the forum .gifs are no longer supported and therefore I changed it. I do hope that people will recognise me by my avatar like they used to.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  14. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Speaking of avatars I think I have had mine form the first time I joined ... loooong ime ago..

Dyre Straits likes this.
  15. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

The site needs to restore GIFs! :)

Falstaff likes this.
  16. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I can recall quite well my interaction with folks on DH, especially Allan Campbell, mods, etc. I occasionally read the hardware news, but more of the forums etc.
    I recieved Gold on this site and enjoyed contributing for years. Coming here was fun at times and other times a bit strange, but always interesting.
    We had some real live ones, and some strange folks, but I got to see great artwork, read great posts and share humor. I was inspired by some of the early efforts of DH to expand and grow, but of course never saw the business end, and probably better that I didn't.
    I did meet people I eventually saw again in the industry and learned a great deal.
    Went through some terrible real life stuff, shared my thoughts and sometimes got some great advice.
    I have seen countless folks come and go, but I still come back now and then.
    Now with Facebook sites and social media dominating even my normal work, I just cannot get back as often as I would like.
    Its been a long road, with many twists and turns, but there was always DH or HH or Kitguru to entertain myself, but like all good things, it must come to
    an end. I hope HH and Kitguru keep plugging away, but I am seeing a trend towards Facebook now. Staff members and members made DH interesting all the time, so it's worth popping in all the time. But changes are always going on. I follow HH and KG on facebook, but its all hardware and bling.
    After Allan Campbell DH left years ago, I waited till his own site Kitguru came up and got a chance to mod there, though interest in the forums tapered off, I was concerned that it would happen here too. The understanding is that tech sites are or have become really more news oriented and very little effort goes into keeping forums alive. I hope that is not the case here.
    I still enjoy reading posts and looking for the odd tidbit of information now and then but I never build anymore, play with software or follow trends, I just come here to relax, quite a different viewpoint than the one I had long ago, but then so be it.
    Kitguru or DH or HH, I have good memories and some annoying episodes here and there but it has enriched my life, so I will keep coming back now and then.

Calliers likes this.
  17. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I know, it just doesn't seem the same without my face smashing itself to death against a keyboard, does it... :|

Dyre Straits likes this.
  18. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

This. Everyone that I know owns at least one device that they use to access the Internet but the usage is so different! If I talk to friends about the next hardware or Windows it's all one-sided; there's nothing to discuss as I'm giving them information. They're competent with computers, it's just... different.
    Then there are the people who type Google into Bing, click the search result that takes them to the Google homepage just to search for Facebook.

Best experience? Winning a new case using a fart joke. That was pretty much my introduction to this forum

19. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I couldn't post last night. I was in the middle of downloading some software for school, just before bedtime, while having my 8mo old son crawling all over me in my lap trying to get away from me while still wanting to be held since he didn't want to be on the floor playing with the toys I had provided him.

I know I don't post nearly as much as I used to, and that's mainly because life has given me a full plate; full time work, family, graduate school, emergency home repairs, house projects (upgrades), and my car project, my time is stretched REALLY thin. My time is so thin that my i5-3570k system I built a year and a half ago has a bad MoBo and I haven't even had the time to set up an RMA for it. I'm going to definitely agree with what has already been mentioned here about other sites taking up much of what DH used to be and what it is now because of how social media like FB and Twitter have changed the internet landscape. It seems that forums - in general - are indeed more geared towards news articles now than actually having forums.

There are most definitely memorable times for me here on DH, and for me that was when DH had the overclocking competitions for which I got an award for in the category I competed in and remained "king of the hill" for a good bit of time. The two members I miss the most are Pr0digalJenius and Iria. I feel that when they "left" DH, DH had lost much of what represented itself at their respective times. However, the one thing I do miss the most is not having the ability to press ALT + S to post a reply. Instead I have physically grab my mouse and click on the "post reply" button. But meh, it's no biggie really.

20. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

ah hell I miss PJ :(
    sandok too. whatever happened to those guys ?