Your credit card got a good rewards program?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Vampyromaniac, May 2, 2007.

1. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

My current card is going to end its rewards points program soon. Shame, as it's gotten me some good stuff.

So does anyone here have a good VISA/MC credit card with a good rewards program to recommend?

2. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

I refuse to use any reward scheme as it just means increased prices. You don't get something for nuthin

3. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

There plan is:
    You think you can get free things by using your credit card...
    You buy more than you can afford to get these free things....
    you pay lots of interest....
    They make more money.....
    and you get a $20 gift card to starbucks

I passed up with mine, but I like the ones where you can sign up and get 20,000 points when you make a purchase (right now chase freedom has it going on). You can redeam those 20,000 points into a $250 gift card to almost any major retailer.

4. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I'm interested in peoples' responses to this too. I'm getting a credit card in a few months, and could pick up some easy rewards by putting my tuition costs it.

I don't currently have a card because my genius province decided that 18-year-olds shouldn't have credit cards. So, whenever I need to buy stuff, I have to call my parents, get them to order it for me, then transfer them money... yeah, really easier.

5. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

I have the basic air miles card from mastercard, and it is pretty good. It is a free card, and gets you 1 mile for every 40 bucks. I just spend the miles on starbucks gift cards. If you upgrade (pay for) your airmiles MC you can get miles pretty fast.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

your lucky if you can get them at 18,

i've been applying for one since i was 18, and i've yet to be approved do to haveing Zero credit history (wtf?)

I've no bad or good history, i've no history at all. Which is freaking stupid because someone with bad history has a higher chance of getting approved then one with no history (again wtf?). Ontop of that, i can't get a loan to build credit, because i have no history, i can't get a credit card to build a credit history, cause i've no history. HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET A CARD THEN!? wtf it's a freaking run around.

7. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Get yourself a secured credit card judas, which works like a charge card.

I dunno though, with having your own business and all, i'd have thought paying bills and having accounts with different service providers would have built up your credit.

8. GutterPunk

I got a CC when i was 18 with a $500 credit limit. I have built from there to a $20,000 limit in 4 years. Maybe it is because I am one of few people who own their car!

9. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Eh? 19 is the legal minimum age in NS, along with a couple other provinces. However, it isn't really much of a problem to get credit cards at 18 or 19 from what I've seen, companies seem happy to throw plastic at people, knowing how much money most people waste on interest.

10. Judas

exactly, when you can walk into a bank or talk directly to a Visa/Mastercard rep and ask for to get approved, they do a check on you, and say no, then i've turned around and said:

I own my own car, it's appraised value is roughly $7500-9000, Fully paid for, excellent shape,
    I own my own bloody house, and property, the value of this building and property is now appraised for nearly $5000 and climbing dramatically as i make improvements. ALL PAID for!
    I operate and own MY OWN BUSINESS, (followed by a few finacial figures).

The responce i got back is "I'm sorry, due to you having no credit history, we still not provide with a credit card" from BOTH mastercard and visa.

this coming monday, i'm making arrangements to put up my car and house as collateral just to get a piddly $1000 loan so that i can pay it off and try to build some sort of credit. The recommended wait time is another freaking year, pay off a $1000 loan over a period of a year.

I've actually to the point where i seriously don't think i need a credit card, the only problem is, everything is getting credit card oriented.

Last year around this time i did however snagged myself a global mastercard, however it's not a REAL credit card, it just charges it to mastercard, then mastercard automatically withdraws the full amount out of my account at midnight that night. Building no credit history still.

I don't think i'm really in need of a credit card, i'm just in need of some credit so that when it comes time that i need to make a hefty investment or buyout, i can do it knowing i've got good history.

So far everything i own, and am still buying has been paid in full, cash, right away. My entire business stock, when i got my car, my house, everything lol. Which apparently shocks alot of people because i've been asked how much i'm paying monthly on a number of things, and looked amazed when i say i don't have to cause i already own it.

11. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

be careful with this. this is how some of my family got into huge debt. Make sure to always pay the tuition off right away and don't let interest build on it.

12. Judas

IMO, i'd never let any amount of outstanding money oweing on a credit card make it passed a month let alone up to one.. i'd have it all paid off well before then.

the interest on credit cards are rediculious, 20-30% depending on the one you've got.

Who cares about a limit when the limit is when you end up paying in interest alone down the road.

13. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

20 here without one, I say f*ck em. Only reason I would ever "need" one is for a house or a car that I wasn't smart enough to save up for myself.

Pretty much credit cards are a way to lose money because you want something right this second and refuse to save up for it.

14. GutterPunk

Limit rising = credit score going up that is all I was saying hah

15. Judas

sfosok, while i would agree with you 75% of what you said in that statement.

the other 25% is designated for those using it under emergency situations or in the case of trying to build credit, OR for those with unpredictable incomes.

I know my sister has used her credit card for an entire month just for food and food alone due to a serious issue with her vehicle, and being that she NEEDS it, it couldn't go unfixed causing a sudden loss of available funds...

yes i would agree, credit cards prromote stupid or impulse buying. I've been tempted by my own global mastercard, just knowing that i could "buy" something without having to see, watch the cash flow out of my wallet, it's just plastic right is the initial missconception. Out of sight, out of mind no?

Problem is, in my case, the money would disappear right away, where as a real credit card would go forgotten until the end of the month...

i know of several people that have made a huge mistake buy doing this, make rash perchases that are huge, OR in some cases, alot of really small ones that add up to one lump sum that make there eyes bleed the moment they open the bill.

16. Judas

yeah... i was just buggen you. :p

17. technonerd

technonerd New Member

Be extra careful of how you use it, it's a bad habits. I try to use credit cards for whatever the money I have in my bank and pay them back before deadline.

I get loan from my bank for tuition, they usually have very low interest rate.

18. cozumel

Yup that's the best way to use it. Use all your credit in the statement window and then pay up before the due date. That way you can get up to 56 days interest free credit while continually improving your credit rating. Never use at an ATM or with foreign currency as you pay high charges.

Never paid a penny interest nor any charges with my visa. That's the best reward program going :)

19. cozumel

You only lose money if you don't pay in full by the due date otherwise it's interest free credit. If you use it to spend above your salary (as a type of loan or overdraft) then you pay interest way way over what you get from a bank loan.

There's no other way to get interest free credit - so if your a sensible type of person and incontrol of your finances then I would recommend having a credit card. Just make sure you pay up in full by the due date on the statement.

20. Judas

exactly what i plan to do, just need to get my hands one.. dammit