Your most immersive gaming experience

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 4, 2005.

1. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

Nah, I always rode a bus in Kenya to avoid the machinegun-manned crossroads ;)

2. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Yup, that would be BATTLEZONE. You had to collect 'scrap', build your base and units, command the units, all while driving a unit. You could even 'snipe' one of the enemy units and take their tank as well.

It could get pretty involved and intense at times :D

There was an add on pack called RED ODYSSEY, and then a sequal called BATTLEZONE II. BZII was 'OK', but it was really way too far ahead of the hardware that was available at the time, and was pretty much of a flop.

3. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

recently the last game i played which took me in totally was COD4 tops i havent played 5 yet though it sits on my shelf, my bro goty it for me.

But if we are talking since i started gaming then we'd be here all day.

Max Payne
    COD1 and its expansion pack

4. Kizo

Kizo HHs Valve fanatic

Definitely HL2. I couldn't play it when it was out, I had exams, so I left it for the summer. I played it on "hard", and loved every bit of it. What I love about HL series is its story (and its easter eggs :) ), but I can understand that not everyone likes it. I was amazed that my machine could play it on max detail on my previous system ( 1024x768 LCD, A64 3200+, 1GB ram, ATi 9600XT), but now that I think of it... it was pretty decent machine for 2004. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  5. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Remembered another one, When i first got Half Life 2 i was absolutely enthralled, and like Kris i just couldn't let go of it.
    It's still just as fun to replay now as it was when i first got it, which if you ask me is a very important factor in releasing a good game. there's too much focus on the visuals now, games hardly have a story or something that makes it unique. I don't want to play Generic Grey & Brown Space Shooter 14, i want to play something like Half Life which was so simple, but so brilliant.

6. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

+1 on Kizo and Mousey's comments!

7. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

years ago I remember I got totally obssessed with one of the MGS games on the old Playstation, to the point where I rang a premium rate phone line to find out how to beat a boss guy :D (you had to swap controller ports. ridiculous)
    before that was x-wing and tie fighter, didn't look at another game until I'd done everything I could with them. twice ;)

8. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Been watching this and thinking about it I have played so many games over the years. Lord of the Sword for the old NES was one of the most addictive I have played. The KOTOR series I thought always had a great storyline and gameplay.

The most immersive game I have ever played though is Oddworld. Shame the series went for a shit after GT interactive got bought out :(

All I can think of for now been a long day ;)

9. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

For me it would have to be Max Payne 1 and more recently COD 4 ;)

10. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I specifically remember one really cold and snowy night in late November when I came home and played Max Payne the level looked just like the silent and dreary world outside. I don't think I had seen a PC game which such atmospheric effects before and it left such an impression that I remember it nearly 9 years later! :eek:

Cow_160483 likes this.
  11. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

We are all very much with you on this one. Cow was the first one to grab a copy and I watched as he played the 1st level. I rushed home to the now crappy 1ghz Intel single core with about 500mhz FSB. 20Gb hard disk space and 256mb of ram.

On board GFX card unfortunatly so it didn't run as smoothly as cows on his nvidia gforce 400 somthing series. This was early 2002. It blew my mind I played it twice.

12. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Max Payne was excellent too like I said so many games hard to reflect on all of them ;)

13. Satans Arse

Satans Arse Dreams Of Sleep

Silent Hill 1 on the PS1, late at night lights off, awesome.
    HL1&2 Ravenholm is still one of my favourite levels of any game.
    Deus Ex
    Max Payne 1&2
    Oblivion
    Online, CS:S (when it first came out, still now occasionally) COD4 Battlefield 2, Can lose a few hours quite easily on L4D

14. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Silent Hill now there is another I left out.

15. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Oh yeah, Silent Hill for sure, and the first Medal of Honor on the PS. That game was amazing and the sound was second to none at the time.

Also, I forgot Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. To date its the only driving game I ever loved. I can't remember how many hours I had into it. Made ya feel like you really knew something about cars, lol.

16. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

forgot that one.
    the only reason there's still a ps2 under my tv any more :)
    also goldeneye on n64 was absolutely awesome ;) (still have that under my tv too :D )

17. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

I just remembered this game "starcraft" .... on of the best strategy games ever very immersive IMO

18. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

I feel most like I am living in a game when I am playing online like being in World of Warcraft. Other games would be Prey and Grid and Dreamfall - The Longets Journey. Also The Longest Journey and Flight Simulator and The Sims 3 and games that I can create myself like in FPS Creator.:cool:

19. adamosmaki

adamosmaki http://pcvideogaming.blog

blood, half life 1, system shock,unreal ( the first one the 98 one),company of heroes,diablo 2,sins of solar empires and from this year cryostasis

20. Odinarius

Odinarius New Member

I once walked with my brother from caffeteria, looked up and said:

"Look, the sky is like in Morrowind!"

Trusteft likes this.