Your thoughts on Cyberpowerpc.com

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Robert McClelland, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I just want know I'm thinking get my next pc from them ibuypower is way to high way I want for my prebuild system from them:) I don't want do dell or gateway they got crap video cards in there system lol.

2. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

Let's go back to your other thread: Any online site that sells "gaming" computers is gonna rip you off, simple as that.

Build it yourself. Everyone is here to help, it's just your being stubborn and are lacking self confidence. It's gonna cost you 600 - 700 dollars less if you build the computer you picked out which you showed in the other thread.

But to answer the question: It's probably a great company, but in the end they're making a 200 percent profit off of you.

3. Robert McClelland

4. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

IEMC is absolutly right Rob...just buy the parts you want and put them toghether yourself...if you encounter any problems we are all here to help. :)

5. onefistedboxer

onefistedboxer New Member

To give you a more exact answer, heed my warning!

I, like you, were caught between a cyberpower PC and building it myself. I've had no experience building PC's so I took the safe option - or so i thought. I wouldn't have the attitude of IEMC that all makers will rip you off, most of the custom pc makers are struggling to make a profit and cyberpower do offer great prices. The problem is that they lack expertise and have terrible customer support.

I've gone through 2 GFX cards because the system was not tested before shipping,
    there is a small dent on the MOBO heatsink,
    none of my motherboards extra functions were implemented (i had to open up the case and add in some parts),
    the bios of my motherboard was so old that it caused blue screen errors with my ram even though the ram i wanted was swapped (without my permission) with a different pair for "compatability",
    incorrect sound drivers were installed (not only were they out of date but they had a known conflict with my gfx cards hdmi port which meant that even after updating my drivers my boot time was 2 minutes long),
    my TV card would not work because of incompatabilities with my GPU,
    once i got it to work i found my TV card was not supported under Vista and it would not do all of its specified functions,
    my ram was set at underclocked settings,
    the bios settings were set up for XP not Vista so sound did not work properly,
    even worse i had work out the causes and solutions of all these problems myself although they were good enough to give me a cpu upgrade to make up for it (once i asked for one).

So what i advise is this: if you are confident enough build your own pc - do it, if not go with a company known for customer service and quality, scan are a good place to start.

6. Robert McClelland

hehe thats ok I decided to wait next couple years when windows 7 comes out :)

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

why?

8. Robert McClelland

For starters Zardon I'm getting ps3 :) that way we can watch blu ray movies I'm in no rush gettng new pc now. :) Plus I have wireless now and I once I get my ps3 I can play online games with it hehe :) I know what I'm doing ;)

9. mike2h

mike2h New Member

while posts above are basically correct i have ordered rom cb before. as have a couple of my freinds. they have fairly good pricing the secret with them is to chk everything ver well( just like any vender as far as i am concerned) when u 1st get it & download all drivers u need & do a clean install yourself- wich i would rec for just about any comp. as long as u assume they have hosed the install u will do fine.
    u also want to try & make it as bare bones as possible. doing it this way has presented no probs with the 4 comps &1 laptop i personally know about.

10. mike2h

mike2h New Member

while i think ps3 is very cool(i own one) it does not come close to offering you the same experience a pc can.
    i dont know about waiting for win7 either. vista has really come into its own. not only will u have t owait 2 years(or more) for it to come out, you will have to wait another year for it to be truly viable...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  11. MoonWalker

MoonWalker Yoyotech Staff

hi there, why not take a look at our shop ???

we are both online (YoYoTech.co.uk :: House of Technology) and a retail shop (30 tottenham court road london w1t 2lj)

we offer a range of pre-built specs and custom spec systems.......

so if you now the rough specs you are looking for - then let us know and we can see what we can offer you.....

thanks
    mark
    YoYoTech.co.uk :: House of Technology

12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

^did u look at our physical locations?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  13. Robert McClelland

Heheh he forget I was from USA :p Anyway updated I'm going wait on PCI express 3.0 mother boards before I do upgrading. I allready have ps3 and love it :) just for blu ray movies.

14. NathanMarks

NathanMarks New Member

There's no need to wait for PCI Express 3.0.... There will always be new and better technology around the corner, you can't wait forever. Plus, even after PCI-E 3.0 starts rolling out it will be a while before we see a large range of products taking advantage of the increased bandwidth. Come 2010 there will be plenty of other things that you might feel are worth waiting for, you just have to bite the bullet and accept that.

Anyways, about cyberpower PC.

I had a friend who ordered one once, the case was dented, not sure whether it happened at their facilities or whether it was poor packaging. Either way it is unacceptable. Customer support were also very difficult on the telephone.

But this was years and years ago in the states, I haven't deal with them recently so i'm sure they've improved a lot and i've heard some very good things about them

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  15. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I think you should consider other things as well. While I have no experience with the company in question, it is a bit unfair to put all custom build by companies PCs in the same category. Yes, you will pay more money for each hardware bought than if you bought each one from the best online or offline store you could find, given enough time.
    BUT, have you considered other things as well?
    For example, if you buy the hardware from more than one store, what is the shipping going to cost you in total? Some companies that build custom PCs also test them to see if at least the hardware works, which could save you extra time, not counting the time to build and test a PC yourself.
    So, even after you consider all the above you pay more for a built PC, say 5-10% is it really not worth it? I might have answered no few years ago, but since I am looking to buy a new system soon, I simply can't consider paying that extra 5% as a bad move.

Of course if you go with a bad company, you will lose no matter what, but isn't that the same if you buy hardware parts from a bad company too?

16. NathanMarks

NathanMarks New Member

Buying individual hardware is different, when you buy a computer that has been put together by someone else you run a much higher risk of having damaged parts due to carelessness and other such things. Also, from previous experience the customer service you get from some companies which solely provide pre-built PCs is less than impressive. In addition, some of the wiring jobs i've seen have been way below par which can easily result in restricted airflow which could likely have temperatures higher than necessary in your machine.

Also, some manufacturers have a habit of swapping parts and then delivering it to you without asking.

17. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

I've been looking at these guys also (yeah I know the thread is 3 months old...)

I'm not looking at an uber system but I'm looking at dropping $800 - $1000. What they are offering for the parts I'm pselecting is about $200 less than I can find using newegg & tiger direct. The only thing holding me back is that I see mixed results for these guys. plenty of people on both sides of the fence...

18. DJ BIG T

DJ BIG T DH FaN BoY

your talking about 2 differnt companys ibuypower is not cyberpowerpc i own a cyberpowerpc and there tech support was great for me..and for the price on some of there pc are great and upgrade able later if you want to...one thing it came with a asus sli mobo and 420 power supples that doesnt have pcie connetors on it...it sucks so when you ready to go crossfire or sli you will need a new ps...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  19. Valdeam

Valdeam New Member

The first computer I bought going into college was a cyberpowerpc. It was GREAT to me. Customer service was never a problem. From then on though, building your own rig is the way to go. There's plenty of people here and on other forums that will help you.

Valdeam [​IMG]

20. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

Well I ordered from em and so far I'm very pleased. Received the package in a very timely manner, everything looks to be what I ordered, well put together & very neat & tidy on the inside. Documentation is minimal but I don't expect much else when buying a built to spec system - if you need basic documentation then you probably should be buying from Dell. The only thing I can't comment on is if it works. :) This is a Christmas present so I'm having to keep it locked away until the wifey is out of the house for a few hours so I can hook it all up & make sure everything is in good shape beyond appearance.

So far - two thumbs up for Cyberpower.com, prompt & accurate, easy & at a great price (I still couldn't buy the same system piecemeal for the price I paid these guys).