Your thoughts on this setup

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by lepel, Feb 16, 2009.

1. lepel

lepel New Member

2. scurvy

scurvy So Cutesy Wootsy

lepel likes this.
  3. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Looks pretty decent for the price the E8400 is a nice Duo :)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Take it from someone that bought one a year ago, and skip the E8400 (I'm dumping mine soon). Go for a quad, like the Q9550. A year ago the E8400 was worth buying as not many games (very very few) at the time were still not optimized for tri/quad CPUs. However, that "a year from now" we all talked about a year ago when we said that developers would be programming for games that have more than 2 cores, well, that's now. There are a lot more games and apps (and operating systems) out there these days that are multi-core aware, so you will see the bonuses in performance when running those games and apps on one. If this machine wasn't for gaming, I'd say go for the E8400, but since you will be gaming on it, go quad. It'll cost you about $105 more to get the Q9550, and in the long run it's the smarter buy.

Oh, and don't go for anything lower quad wise as the cache size shrinks with lower quad versions. The Q9550 is only 170mhz slower than the Q9650, but it has the same 12mb of cache, making it's performance on par with it. Go lower on the scale that shrinks to 6mb, and that would be fine if it weren't for the drop in mhz/ghz. Plus, if you go even further down the scale to he Q8xxx series that caches size shrinks 4mb. At that point it's not even worth buying a quad when a dual core processor can beat the snot out it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    lepel likes this.
  5. lepel

lepel New Member

That's some nice RAM scurvy, ty.

The objective is to make a silent PC that is powerful enough for day to day use, some gaming and Bluray playback. I want to keep the cost low, while sticking to quality brands. I think I got a little dragged away with the 260gtx and all, though. I don't even know if that card fits inside that case. I suppose it does...

Anyway I'm interested in a cheaper perhaps even more quiet solution. Maybe a 4850 instead of the 260gtx.
    Is this one trustworthy? I'm kinda scared about the passive cooling.
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

How about the CPU cooler. Are there (cheap) solutions that operate more silently? Or would the stock cooler be silent enough (the CPU won't be OC'ed then)...

Maybe a cheaper motherboard, CPU?

Tell me what you think. Feel free to give me suggestions or your recommendations.
    I kind of like it how it is, but I already have 'a gaming rig' so...

@Tipstaff: I might do that and put the Q9550 in my current rig and drop the ol' E8500 into the new system. I kind of regretted not having gone quad. Little Q here though. You don't need to reinstall the OS or anything when swapping CPUs, or do you?

6. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

True Tipstaff I may still pick up a 775 quad for my other board before going i7.

On the CPU change lepel shouldn't affect your OS that usually is affected by a mainboard change. On the CPU cooler the Katana2 is in the same price range but I haven't compared it to the OCZ one.

On the video cards you mentioned I think either or man honestly.

EDIT: Noticed the 4850 used passive cooling a member here ran into an issue with that let me grab the link
    http://www.driverheaven.net/folding-home/176074-gpu2-ati-card-running-hot.html

7. scurvy

scurvy So Cutesy Wootsy

yeah freaking fast, and rock solid, bloody cheap, and looks good as well.
    Perfect for OCing ya CPU to hell an back :cool:

8. billionairebum

billionairebum New Member

Why are you looking at hectic graphics and ram if you not gaming on it though? You say everyday work use so even a simpler setup should be fine if you not gaming on it.

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

If you are looking at a passively cooled GPU, you might want to re-think the case selection. Looking at the pics of that LIAN LI, it doesn't look like it's one of the better coooling cases on the market. I know that LIAN LI has a good reputation, but I think that for cooling, there are better cases available.

I'd suggest that you at least take a look at the Cooler Master CM 690
    Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I have the CM 690 and it's VERY quiet. Also with 3x 120mm fans, it does a very good job of keeping the internals cool.

10. lepel

lepel New Member

Thanks OldBuzzard, but I'd like to keep the case though. Appearance is important for me and I absolutely love the looks of the lian li case I chose.

Basically all the things you can see I'd like to keep. But suggestions about the hardware inside are welcome. Any more thoughts about RAM, GPU, CPU, mobo, CPU heatsink and cooler?

@billionairebum: it's not said that I won't game on it at all. And in any case I still want the system to perform relatively fast in Vista 64bit.

edit: by the way if anyone knows a blu ray player which is black and has a brushed aluminum front panel to match the case, let me know :)

11. lepel

lepel New Member

Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

I was actually looking at that case, but I couldn't find it on newegg. Do you think everything (especially the GPU) would fit inside it?

edit: newegg, not youtube :lol:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  12. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

just so you know.... 775 is a real dead standard....

go with an AMD AM2+ setup with Phenom II tri-core

per core, it may not be able to topple the 8400 but its a platform with a long future ahead of it. you can always OC it to 3.5GHz to 4.0GHz

lepel likes this.