zer0point (6.4) or Omega (6.3) for Oblivion?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Fatality_, May 5, 2006.

1. Fatality_

Fatality_ New Member

Which would most likely run it better with a X800-series card?

Thanks.

2. AlexM105

AlexM105 New Member

DHzer0point 6.4

3. fobis

fobis New Member

It's really a completely subjective issue, so I'd say try them both out and see which one you like better. Personally, DHzer0point 0.64 works some wonders with my card. :D

4. mike2h

mike2h New Member

ill have to give that a shot with my wifes 1800xl. the ati mobility drivers seem to be working on the laptop s oi thonk i will leave well enough alone;)

5. AlexM105

AlexM105 New Member

The 6.4 have bug fixes and such... I'd pick 6.4 over any version of 6.3... And yes, the DHzer0point 6.4 are working great for me too. ;)

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'm going to be the odd man out here, but I've found that the NGO 1.6.3 drivers to be the best for playing Oblivion. Omegas 6.3 drivers are amazing, but I found that the image quality setting they have to be causing some slowdowns in some areas of Oblivion. Switching to the NGO drivers solved that problem, and I think it has to do with the Ultra setup the drivers come with.

Now, as soon as they were out I was all over the 6.4 drivers from ATI, and until I used those Oblivion ran silky smooth. After that the game would crash when exiting, and a few other anomallies and slowdowns showed up. Same thing happened with the DH 6.4 (a shame too). As soon as I went back to the NGO 1.6.3s everything was fine.

*Just a note: NGO now have a 1.6.4 version of their drivers, but I've yet to test them due to the problems I've had with the other 2 sets of 6.4 based drivers. Also, while the 6.4 drivers have bug fixes for other games they don't include ones for Oblivion.

7. Fatality_

Fatality_ New Member

Cheers, i'll try those!

Thanks

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

hey tipstaff! have u tried them with any other games(6.4 vers)?

9. Tipstaff

ATIs and DHs yes, but I haven't tried NGOs yet. I'll be doing that later today. In every other game I have tried (BF1942, BF2, HL2, Guild Wars, UT2004, and Tomb Raider) the 6.4s are fine, but as soon as I load up Oblivion I get consistant stuttering/slowdowns UNLESS I lower my ingame settings (specifically tree distance, water quality, and tree canopy shadows), as well as lower my rez to 1152x768 (from 1280x1024). With the NGO 6.3s it runs smoothly.

Something that interests me: NGO drivers have 2 listings that I'm wondering about, and it's possible that this is the reason the NGO drivers seem to be faster... at least for me with Oblivion.

First is that they have an "Ultimate Edition" install option which they describe as follows: "The Ultra Edition is optimized for cards with 256Mb or more. It uses the ram in a more effective way in order to produce higher performance."

The second listing (at least with the 1.6.3s) is "Enabled Triple Buffering by default". Now, whether this means they enabled triple buffering for OGL, DX, or both, they don't say. I know that you can override triple buffering for DX games by using DirectX Tweaker (info HERE, download HERE), but NGO doesn't state that this is what they have enabled by default.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  10. Ib Al-Musaheb

Ib Al-Musaheb New Member

I don't want to bother you but could you test that NGOs with Battlefield 2 for me? :oops:

I'm currently using the Omega 6.3 driver set and still search for better drivers which get out the best performance out of the game.
    So, would you recommend that NGO 6.3 or the newest Catalyst (6.4)? Or should I give DHzer0point a try? :uhoh:

I'd appreciate that very much, thank you. ;)

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

thx for the info!!!

12. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've been a great fan of Omega's drivers for several years now. However, after reading about some of these other drivers over the past few months...coupled with the fact that Omega has seemed to lose interest in getting out his version ASAP after official releases...I'm beginning to gain interest in trying some of these other drivers.

Tipstaff: Your post above is an excellent one. Thanks!

13. Ib Al-Musaheb

Ib Al-Musaheb New Member

So what? NGO 6.3, Cat 6.4 or newest zer0point? (for Bf2) :sigh:

14. tech.Me

tech.Me New Member

Why not try them out yourself? Get off your lazy butt and learn how to compare drivers by yourself.

15. Ib Al-Musaheb

Ib Al-Musaheb New Member

Might be a possibility ... anyway, thanks for nothing ... :bleh:

16. Tipstaff

Omegas drivers have the best image quality of all the drivers, and the DHZP and NGO drivers are right behind it (forget ATI originals). All of them increase quality, but NGOs just seem to be faster. With Omegas/DHZP my framerate usually hovers around 50fps, but with NGOs I usually get 50-60fps (that's for BF2 with FRAPS running).

Also, I'm kinda reluctant to switch over to the 6.4 drivers (any of them) for the reasons I've mentioned above. These NGO 1.6.3 drivers have been rock solid for me, and as I've said, faster too. Just remember you may not get the same performance that I am getting as every system is different, especially since I've got a nicely tweaked system with decent parts, so it's best to test each driver for yourself. Right off I'd say stay away from ATIs drivers, and go straight to the others.

17. Ib Al-Musaheb

Ib Al-Musaheb New Member

I really thank you for that answer on my question concerning the best driver! :)

Yeah, that's exactly what direction I've been going for years. [​IMG]

Thanks for that, again! ;)

18. EnPassant

EnPassant New Member

Im tempted to try these, Do the NGO's come with the regular Control panel or the CCC?.

19. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Let me say that I finally relented and gave into my own temptation to use the NGO drivers and I'm totally impressed. They come with the standard Control Panel AND the option to use Ray Adam's ATi Tray Tool!

20. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

Ok, I've just installed the NGO 6.4 Drivers (Ultra version), and so far in Oblivion the performance is by far better than any other drivers I've used.

I do get stuttering, but this is only during the first 3-4 seconds every time i transition, i think that is due to the landscape lod and texture mods i have installed.

Other than that, I rarely get a hiccup. with the DHZP 6.4s I have small stuttering from time to time when i walked around.