Zone Alarm Pro and Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Jitter, May 12, 2005.

1. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

Not sure how many people use Zone alarm. but so far ive been happy w. it recently. However there seems to be some sort of memory leak or problem. When I first boot up and connect the vsmon.exe uses only about 10MB of RAM. I think I had my PC on for about 18-20 hours and my free RAM seemed low and I noticed that vsmon was taking up almost 60MB of RAM. Can any of else confirm this or Have any more info?

Thanks

Kevin

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Not using it myself but hear from others that it has been a fairly common occurance lately. Try uninstalling ZoneAlarm and then reinstall the latest version. If that doesn't help then I guess there just has to come out a patch for it from the maker.

In case you would be interested in a simple and very resource efficient firewall then I would recommend trying Kerio 2.15 wich is also free.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  3. Zorg

Zorg New Member

Get Avast for free - no such things and it just works with minimal memory footprint.
    It's even nag free

4. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

Is Kerion related to or part of Kerio firewall? I had that one before and did not like it. I havent tried avast yet I checked out the website it looked like a firewall/antivirus package. I dont need antivirus, but I may check it out anyways. I had Mcafee's and liked it, but didnt like the Mcafee "baggage". I am happy w/ zone alarm, but it definitely seems to have a memory leak problem. I will try the new version of it first, right now I am running the 2nd newest (5.5.062) and newest is 5.5.094. Thanks for the advice

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Oops I misspelled Kerio as Kerion. But just in case you tried a 3.x or 4.x version of Kerio then note that after 2.15 it was not the same program anymore. And pretty much all of the changes were either unnecessary or even downgrades to those who just want a simple firewall that does the job of a firewall, without getting bloated with extra features or baggage as you say.

6. Zorg

Zorg New Member

I am talking here about the free personal Avast - it's only a virus checker!
    U don't need the commercial version for home use.

7. DrSpank

DrSpank New Member

Zonealarm and bittorrent don't mix well and will make zonealarm eat memory. So if you're using bittorrent switch to another firewall. I went from zonealarm to outpost and have never looked back.