Zotac - Nvidia GTX460 Overheating

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Coriolis, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Coriolis

Coriolis Zoom-Zoom

hi all,

this is my first post so be gentle :)

so heres my rig. this was built in 2007 for Age Of Conan except it was 4GBs of rams & a MSI GT8800 Zytec Zalman

Q9300 1333FSB
    6GB Kingston Hyper-X 800mhz
    Zotac Nvidia GTX460
    Creative Xi-Fi Titanium
    Gigabyte P35 DS3 R
    Thermaltake 750W
    Windows 7 x64
    HP 21.5" Led Full HD
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7500RPM
    Raidmax Ninja Case

heres my latest problem;

i was playing Mass Effect 3 for 5-6 hours. and it crashed 3 times in a row. i checked the GPU temp with Zotac's firestorm app. and it was around 98 C-100 C.

i tried to re-wright the fan profile with Nvidia Inspector & MSI Afterburner. but it seems it is stuck at %70 (though firestorm app says it is %100)

i think it was overheating GTX460. btw the soundcard & VGA have only 1-2cm space between them.

i think i must get a better airflow in the case. other than that what can i do???

thanks in advance.

sorry for my poor English

2. steves6403

steves6403 Active Member

I had the same prob with the sound card being so close.My fix was an extension cable for the sound card.Have you at least got a fan at the back of the puter?I would have a look at your gpu fan though....a physical look .My 460 wont go over 60c and its overclocked to 800mhz.I wouldnt run yr gpu at 100c!!!!

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

You mentioned that there is only 1 - 2 cm space between you 460 * your XFi, is it possible to move your XFi to another slot to get some better airflow?

You could try giving you system a thorough clean. Removing all the fans to clean them properly. Taking the shroud of the 460 to clean its heatsinks and again clean its fan. Removing every spec of dust can have a noticeable effect.

Try and have an intake fan as close to the 460 as possible. Some cases have a vent/fan mount right next to the PCI-e slotrs for this purpose. Putting a decent intake at the bottom front of the case can also significantly cool your GPU.

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Zoom-Zoom

unfortunately theres no other slots in that card...my way of thinking was buying a mid-class mainboard and saving money in order to boost other components budget and using the mainboard at its limits maybe?...

i knew this and believe me my case is as clean as it can be :)

theres a 12 or 14 cm fan just next to these two cards (backside) . and an other at the front-lower area, and another at the left side of the case.

so today i bought 2x high performance coolermaster fans. i think to replace those 2 front&rear fans. plus i ll replace the side. and i ll re-program them from BIOS. so i hope a better airflow.

but the real problem seems that according MSI afterburner & Nvidia Inspector, my cards fan doesnt seem to spin more than %70...how can i fix it?

and the biggest lesson from this experience..never buy the standard version.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Maybe that software isn't repoting the fan speed correctly. I use GPU-z and that seems pretty accurate. I also use nVidia Performance Service for setting overclocks etc but it also allows you to set a fan speed manually. You could try installing that and setting the fan speed to 100% yourself. If that works out, you can set a profile so that the fan goes to 100% whenever you start ME3.

My GTX460 is pretty loud at 60% so running it at 100% would be deafening but maybe you have a better maker than I do :D

6. Coriolis

Coriolis Zoom-Zoom

i just replaced my old raidmax fans with 2xcoolermaster 12cm's. it seems fine for now. :)

i ll feedback

7. Coriolis

Coriolis Zoom-Zoom

at idle +%20 fan it is 48-50 degree...

8. Coriolis

Coriolis Zoom-Zoom

i replaced it with a MSI GTX560 ti Hawk...

9. jackjackduank

jackjackduank ..xXx..

show us you rig bro :) so we can see the airflow inside you case :)