Zune Stinks

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: Forbes
    _________
    You might have heard of the Zune, Microsoft's supposed "iPod killer." The portable media player boasts a larger screen than the iPod, a built-in FM radio, and the ability to share songs wirelessly with other users. It's set to hit stores on Tuesday, and some gadget geeks are getting excited. But it appears they will be sorely disappointed.

2. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

No this article stinks. Any review that starts with: actually I havent even used one of these then goes on without mentioning a single positive stinks of bias. A despicable example of journalism if ever I saw one.

3. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Actually, I thought the guy made a few good points. If what he says are true, then it does in fact stink.

4. Sourabh

Sourabh New Member

that said, it is really a crime to say that without actually trying. Moreover all the points he made are true, but that is not the end of the world.

Firstly, not everyone buys legal music from marketplace. All have other sources by which they can fill in their zune. Marketplace is an extension, all I would care about is a Multimedia player with the best bang for my bucks.

Sharing the song feature is cool enough. If you are hanging out with your friend, you can pass it on a few tracks for him to listen a couple of times. Then the other person has a choice. Who cares about the third? If the third is a friend too wait for a few freaking 10 seconds more and pass it on to him too. ( ofcourse if normal music you already have can be shared - i am not sure abt it 100%)

All this comes at the same price tag as the apple's ipod. 249$ You still get 30gb storage.

Plus the 3 inch screen which is really a big thing. even a small increase in size does mean big. Compare it with the cellphone screens! You get a cool feature of wireless sharing - although limited it is a nice thing to have.

Same battery life 14 hrs of audio and 4 hrs of video.

Why still curse? Just because its an MS product?

5. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

I don't get all these people listing the wireless feature as a disadvantage of the Zune. It is an extra feature no other player has. If you don't like, don't use it. It is not like having an extra feature you don't use somehow detracts from the system. And if you only used it once, that is once more than you would have been able to use it otherwise. So what if you can only play the song for three days? That is three days longer than you would have been able to play it if you didn't have a Zune. It is an extra feature you are not required to use. Besides, Microsoft had to cripple it or they would definitely have gotten sued by the RIAA. That is obvious.

And complaining about it coming in brown? It is not like people are forced to buy it in brown. It is just another option. How is giving people a different color somehow going to hurt people who don't want that color?

Everyone else has already pointed out the other major flaws with this "review".

6. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

right and honestly someones going to crack the mofo which im excited about! and have you heard about the other wireless mode? DJ mode where you can have up to 10 people listen to what you're listening to? It'd be pretty awesome on the bus. As long as other people have it of course...

and Zune marketplace is NEW! It probably will have all of the things that itunes will have soone nough.

and his brown complaint? it is ONE of THREE optional colors. god. its still got white and black like Ipod.

7. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Yeah, good point. The videos and movies for itunes are pretty new, and the music selection has been growing over a period of years. You can't expect a brand new store to have everything a very old one does.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Well, for those that missed it, HERE is the hands-on review of the unit that was posted on DH earlier today. Highlight:

"The Zune 1.0 player is pretty barren, too. It does not have a single standard iPod amenity: no games, alarm clock, stopwatch, world clock, volume limiter, equalizer, calendar, address book or notes module.

Incredibly, you cannot even use the Zune as an external hard drive, as you can with just about every other player on earth - an extremely handy option for carting around big computer files."

My response:

"WTH? No equalizer, and you can't use it as portable storage? Since it has no equalizer it damn well better have some sort of bass/treble options, cuz if not, then no thanks."

----

On a side note, I may not like this product for a number of reasons, but if you haven't actually touched the damn thing, or haven't got one in your hands, then you should not be doing a "review". Also, I question the intelligence and validity of any article done by a "reviewer" or "journalist" that uses the word "stupider" (it's stupid, or MORE stupid.. not stupider) to describe anything, or anyone. And if you have a tendency to leave out things specifics about a product, and then turn around and make it a short coming of that product, than you damn well should not be a reviewer (yo, stupid, the Zune comes in 3 colors, and that INCLUDES brown.. although, "technically" white and black are not actually colors.. but still... leaving this fact out just makes you look... MORE STUPID).

9. bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow Banned

It doesn't even have an equilizer?

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I guess MS knows what is best for your ears.

Is there a volume control in this thing?

11. bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow Banned

lol i wonder how many patches it will need

12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You mean "service packs", or "Zune Plus!".
    It never gets old making fun of MS, or Sony, or Apple. :D

PS. I wonder when the Zune crashes and gets a BSOD, will you be able to read all the info there? The screen is not computer size monitor you know.

13. evrt63

evrt63 New Member

i guess i'm ignorant because i'm buying one for my daughter this christmas. she cant stop talking about it, same with her friends too.

14. bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow Banned

Yeah fwiw I'd like to kick Ken, Steve and Bill right in the balls

15. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Absolutely true. Never get tired of making fun of them.

Some pitfalls of the Zune being mentioned will "probably" be adjusted as long as the Zune is upgradable. If it is (which one assumes) then they can always add features that are missing as long as those features can be added through updates to the player itself. The big one (at least for me) is the the equalizer.

To be honest, though, even the equalizer in the iPod leaves a lot to be desired as there is no custom equalizer option. While a couple of the presets are nice (bassbooster, latin, or rock), a custom option would be MUCH more preferred. The only way to get around this is to lower the gain for each and every music file, then raise the volume for each one to compensate for the loss in gain before you dump the song onto the iPod. Now when you use one of the presets, such as the rock one, the sound is much better than not having done the gain/volume trick (a good article on how to do this is HERE). Problem is that this can be a very, very tedious job when dealing with 500-1000+ songs.

BTW, most people don't realize this, but running with the EQ setting on an iPod will reduce the battery life by 1 hour. This might be one reason why Microsoft decided to not to add one to the Zune... albeit a stupid one.

The EQ alone is why I haven't ditched my Sony Hi-MD player yet. With that I can set 2 custom EQ settings per MD disc. Throw in a different disc, and it will load the custom EQ settings automatically assigned to that disc. That way I can have different EQ settings, different CUSTOM EQ settings depending on the music I listen to. With a good EQ setting, high or lossless quality music, paired with my Koss PortaPros, the sound is just amazing. 2 custom EQ settings, 40-48 hours off of 1 AA battery, and lossless audio support makes this player one that I can't give up at the moment. If Apple were to add just one custom EQ setting though I'd dump my Hi-MD in a minute.

16. Sourabh

Sourabh New Member

As for the brown variant for the zune, many actually like it in the first place. Black is my choice but I was surprised all my geeky friends actually had brown as their first preference.

17. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Don't knock it till ya try it.

18. bug77

bug77 New Member

We weren't expecting a free or open platform from M$ anyway, were we?

19. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I, for one, despise the iPod and praise a large company like MS for having the cajones to take it on across the board....hardware, software, and marketplace.

As for brown...it's a currently very fashionable color, often paired with blue or pink [no, I'm not gay, but I have a fiance...and if you walk into any clothing store, be it AE, A&F, or even Kohls or Target.....it's all brown and pale blue]

As for the wirless...it's an extra feature that isn't making it any more expensive then the competition...why complain? And it's designed to let you try out music before you buy it...which is what many people complain about onine music stores and their "30 second preview" method. Now you get to hear the whole thing.

As for not being able to sue it as a hard drive...that's not entirely true...people who review these things apparently don't udnerstand how DRM systems work though. The Zune is going to be a Windows Media Connect Device. THus, it will be recognized as a syncronization device, nto a disk device. However, as with ALL OTHER DRM PLAYERS, I'm sure it will have "emergency mode" for flashing, where by holding down some combo of buttons at power on, it will boot into UMD mode and function as a hard drive. iRiver products actually have 2 versions of the firmware, one being WMC and one being UMD, so that fi you don't use Napster or another DRM store, you can simply use it as a hard drive all the time.

What else si this guy smoking...hmm...oh yea...size and weight. You can't shove a 3" screen into something designed to be slim with a 2.5" screen without making it bigger.....dumbass.

No equalizer sucks, yes...but nothing a firmware patch can't remedy. As for games...if you want a gameboy...buy a gameboy...if you want an MP3 player....buy an mp3 Player...and if you want an mp3 Player with crappy games and more bells and whistles then you'll ever understand how to use....buy a PSP.

OK...i've spoken my peice...carry one :)

20. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

zune looks cool, but it still doesn't match up to the way i use my iRiver H340
    not until a company releases an mp3 player with a full LCD remote with full control, and study mode (scanning through a track 30sec/1min/3min etc - useful for live sets) will I upgrade